• At least 750,000 children a year witness domestic violence.
• On average a women is assaulted 35 times before they call the police.
• Forced Marriage is a crime.
• Domestic abuse has a higher rate of repeat victimisation than any other crime.
• 30% of domestic violence starts in pregnancy.
What is domestic abuse?
Domestic abuse can be:
Physical – including being hit, kicked or attacked
Emotional – being called names, put down, made to feel bad
Sexual – having to be sexual when you don’t want to
Financial – when someone takes or controls your money
It can be actual or threatened behaviour.
It can take place between partners or ex partners.
It can include abuse by one family member to another.